Thursday, April 9, 2009

Alternative Co-op in Baltimore






The last two weeks of Winter Q were horrendous, but as always, I managed to make it out alive.  The check-list studio was over, I had survived a corrosive chemical attack, and I had even experienced UC's hilly campus on crutches.  All that hardship and still no co-op job in sight. SIGH... but wait, enter the "alternative co-op option." 
The choices were laid out: volunteer, participate in a research project, or travel (not just a lazy beach vacation).  I settled on the first of these and packed my bags for Michigan, unpacked, laid on the couch for a week, and then packed my bags again and boarded a plane for Baltimore! 
Just into my first week, and my alternative co-op had involved some rather unconventional tasks.  I attended the Transmodern Festival and filmed interviews, joined a team of MICA students on a real marketing campaign that required me to measure a bus shelter and freight elevator, and most surprising of all, I helped out at a real mini-documentary filming of a local saxophone legend.
I never anticipated my 3rd co-op to be spent away from a cubicle, but I am actually having fun and learning invaluable lessons (no AutoCAD necessary)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment